Monday, July 19, 2010

Tags!



It was all fine till that moment; when that man in white slapped me hard on my buttocks dangling me by my feet. And with that first infliction of pain came a flurry of tags. I was a son, a nephew and by the virtue of a late act by my grandfather, an uncle. And as I grew, so did the list of tags. I was soon a brother; and then a friend. And so on.

With these tags came conditioning; obligations rather. Each tag came with a set of attached requirements - of love, of hate and of compromise. Choices became fewer. I was forced to love and hate based on the million conditions that applied to each of these tags. I learned to follow before I could lead. I learnt to listen before I could speak. The strings grew tighter. They demanded detached tears and indifferent smiles. It became a leash, dragging me along, away from everything I wanted. And I followed obediently.

But somehow, it was bound to go wrong. Inevitably. Because underneath all those tags, suffocated and stranded I suffered, struggling for some air. Because before I was son, a brother and a friend, I was a human being. And even God, has no right to mess with my free will.

6 comments:

Yours Faithfully said...

"And even God, has no right to mess with my free will." That's the spirit! Don't let Her! As for Her millions (billions, actually) of minions: Ask them to Go Get A Life! You can't assign ratio & proportion to human feelings & emotions; if I happen to love my Second Cousin more than my Own Sibling, I'm free to do so without being tormented by any ridiculous feelings of guilt! Follow Gandhi-ji's advice: Be the change that you want to see in the world.

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

(¯`•._.•[Raajii]•._.•´¯) said...

God doesnt mess with free will, its always the people who do because God gave those other people free will too.

:-)

phoenikhs said...

@Raaji - First of all, God was used for the punchline effect. And yeah, he has to take responsibility, if at all he is real. :D

Nabamalika said...

Aren't we all, nothing but products of our own social realities?

phoenikhs said...

I would not say social realities. We are all creatures of circumstance, but not entirely society-oriented.